ECOG Performance Status-scale was developed by Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Now this group is a part of ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group.
This scale was published in 1982.
Importance of ECOG performance status:
- It provides standard criteria to measure the impact of disease on patient’s daily living abilities/performances for example, ability to walk, Office work etc.
- It helps sponsor to recruit Desired population in oncology studies.
- It also provides considerable information about treatment effect on patient’s level of functioning.
- Data Manager can get the information about this while reviewing the protocol in oncology trials as all protocol clearly mentions which performance Grading system needs to be used. (other performance Grading System: Karnofsky Performance Status)
- Please refer the below table which is taken from ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group website
|Grade||ECOG Performance Status|
|0||Fully active, able to carry on all pre-disease performance without any restriction|
|1||Restricted in the physically strenuous activity but ambulatory and able to carry out work of the light or sedentary nature, e.g., light house work, office work|
|2||Ambulatory and capable of all selfcare but not able to carry out any work activities; up and about more than 50% of waking hours|
|3||Capable of only limited selfcare; confined to bed or chair more than 50% of the waking hours|
|4||Completely disabled; cannot carry on any selfcare; totally confined to the bed or chair|